Australia Australian Society of Archivists - Directory of Archives lists contact details, access conditions, acquisition focus and web links to a diverse range of Australian archives. It is listed under learning and publications.
Australian War Memorial. This extensive site is a must for family history research and contains biographical databases, collection databases, extensive digitised records, online Information Sheets plus extensive advice on research and family history.
National Archives of Australia holds Australian government records from 1901 plus a significant collection of records transferred from the colonies pre 1901. Online services include RecordSearch - the collection database, PhotoSearch and 289+ Fact Sheets. Records are held for defence service personnel, merchant seamen, 20th century passenger arrivals, displaced persons, naturalisation and much more.
Noel Butlin Archives Centre The Noel Butlin Archives Centre (NBAC) collects business and labour records from Australian companies, trade unions, industry bodies and professional organisations. The NBAC holds the records of large companies such as the Australian Agricultural Company, Burns Philip, CSR Ltd, Dalgety's,Tooth and Company and the Adelaide Steamship Company as well as those of smaller businesses such as pastoral stations. Updated
New South Wales State Records New South Wales The Search Online option offers access to Online Indexes,Search - the catalogue search tool, Photo Investigator and Archives Investigator. The wide variety of online indexes covers bankruptcy and insolvency, census, Colonial Secretary, convicts, courts, deceased estates, divorce, education and child welfare, gaols, immigration and shipping, indigenous Australians, inquests, land, naturalization, probate, professions/occupations, registers of firms, soldier settlement plus much more. Use the KeyName Search to search for your family across multiple indexes at once. Use the Quick Links to access 124+ Archives in Brief fact sheets. There is also free access to 'online' microfilm of shipping lists. Updated
Queensland Queensland State Archives. Use the Quick Links to access online indexes covering convicts/prisoners, courts, hospitals/sanitoria, immigration, indigenous, land, professions, orphanages/reformatories and others including Australian South Sea islanders, Boer war, coloured labour and Asiatic aliens, companies plus more. Use the Family History link to access a series of Brief Guides and other information.
South Australia State Records of South Australia. Click on Access Collection Catalogue (top blue tab) then Finding Aids (left side tab). Also from this tab click on Searching to access the name search, World War I photos and passenger list search.
Tasmania LINC Tasmania brings together the State Library of Tasmania, the Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office and others. Online name indexes include:
• Arrivals - index of passengers and ships arriving, mainly in Hobart in the 19th century
• Census index - index of people (householders) (1842-1857) *
• Colonial Tasmanian Family Links database - is not a direct index to records but contains a large amount of information (not necessarily verified) about Tasmanian families
• Convict applications for permission to marry - index of convicts applying to marry free people or other convicts (1829-1857) #
• Departures - index of people leaving Tasmanian ports (1817-1867)
• Divorces - index of people getting divorced (1861-1920)
• General index - indexes a range of records, mainly names, but some subjects #
• Inquests - index of records of inquests into people's deaths (c.1828-c.1930). Inquests into fires are in the general index#
• Naturalisations - index of people applying to become citizens (1835-1905) #
• Tasmanian convicts - index of all convicts transported to Tasmania and those convicted locally through the convict system #
• Wills - index of wills and letters of administration of estates registered for probate (1824-1989) * indicates digital images of the records are available online. # indicates some digital images available.
LINC Tasmania - Digital Tasmania is a project to digitise Tasmania's archival and heritage collections. A significant amount of material has been digitised and is available online for free. There are original records, books, maps and plans, pictorial works, newspapers and journals and card indexes.
Victoria Public Record Office Victoria. Click on the Start your research tab to access information, a new researcher kit, Research Guides and online indexes and digital records. These cover aboriginal Victorians, adoption and wardship, buildings and land, cemeteries, court cases, divorce, education and teachers, family history research, historical images, inquests, mental health, prisoners and convicts, ships and shipping, tramways and railways, wills and probate. There are free digital images of original records available online including Victorian wills to 1841-1925.